14 December 2012

Difficult Emotions

"Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have - life itself."

Walter Anderson, 1998
former Marine, renowned storyteller and editor of Parade

Earlier in the week, Mum called me in evening when I was still at work. A relative of similar age to me, had a critical accident resulting in loss of limbs, and was struggling to survive in the ICU. I had to take some time to absorb the situation.

I seemed detached from my emotions, not knowing how to respond. I was sad but wore a pokerface. I was not angry with the situation or anyone. I did not question God why, especially that he lost his mother recently.  I know God has a plan, since He let him survive. I hope he stays strong.