12 January 2013

Bake Your Own Homemade Pineapple Tarts for Chinese New Year (Recipe)


I first learnt how to make pineapple tarts in January 2011 from a baking workshop that I attended with Mum. In that year, I had to make 200 tarts - just enough to give to our parents, our grandmothers and keep 1 box for ourselves! It was time-consuming and very tiring having to move my hands and stay on my feet -  about 6 hours every weekend. But it was fulfilling - there were lots of good comments from family and relatives for these melt-in-the-mouth (but very sinful) CNY treats. 

I didn't had the time to bake for CNY 2012 as I changed to a new job. This year, I'm going to start again! Here's sharing the recipe (",)


Ingredients (to make 40 pineapple tarts)
  • 300g butter, cut into smaller pieces (I prefer to use SCS brand. the butter should be cold and firm, so I use them directly when I take them out from the fridge)
  • 2 egg yolks (I prefer to use low-cholesterol eggs. It's rather difficult and expensive to get free-range eggs in Singapore)
  • 1/2 kg of pineapple filling (you can buy the 1kg pack from Phoon Huat or the baking section of NTUC Fairprice or Sheng Siong)
Sift together:
  • 400g plain flour
  • 30g milk powder (I prefer to use Nespray brand, but milk powder is getting more and more expensive. Hence some of my friends suggested that I use cinnamon powder instead of milk powder to mask the floury taste, and to give it a spicier taste and fragrance)
  • 1/8 teaspoon or a pinch of fine salt
Egg wash:
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • a bit of water (when I just used the egg, my tarts turned our rather brown... perhaps fried eggs on the tarts!)


Instructions
  1. Cream the butter and egg yolks with a mixer until light and creamy. 
  2. Add in the sifted ingredients and mix together by hand. 
  3. Knead the dough until smooth and lighter colour (looks and feels like mash potato!) 
  4. Let the dough rest and cover the mixing bowl with a wet cloth to prevent it from drying out.
  5. Move on to the pineapple filling. Roll them into small balls - about 2cm diameter
  6. Back to the dough. Take a bit and roll them into small balls, also about 2 cm diameter. Flatten the dough ball. Put the pineapple filling on the flatten dough. Roll into ball shape. 
  7. Use a pastry brush to apply egg wash, generously.
  8. Lined the pineapple tarts on a baking tray (put baking sheet, or grease the tray, up to your preference). 
  9. Pre-heat oven at 160 degee celcius for 10 min. 
  10. Put in the tray, bake for 10 mins or till light brown. 
  11. Remove baking tray from oven, and rest till room temperature. I usually transfer the tarts to a cooling rack (looks like a mesh, you can get from Daiso too at SGD 2)
  12. Pack the tarts into containers when completely cool.



Have fun baking (",)