02 February 2015

Chatuchak Weekend Market and Terminal 21 | Bangkok, Thailand

Writing this post while soaking in the bathtub :) had to use the small electrical kettle to boil water twice to have warm bath water as the water heater is not working properly... bbrr...

Our second day in Bangkok started rather "early" at noon. Waking up many times in a foreign bed, airconditioned room (we usually sleep with or without fans) and lots of snoring... I was bewildered when I realised it was still considered "morning" when I woke up (ok... 11.30am BKK time). Maybe the 1 hour time zone difference played a part :P

Sipping our cup of Thai iced tea in a hurry (no f&b on the subway), we took the BTS Skytrain to Mo Chit Station and a short walk to Chatuchak Weekend Market. It was my first time here, while hubby is so familiar with the place. We had coconut icecream served on the coconut shell with a "buffet" of toppings, crispy banana fritters, freshly toasted garlic bread,  mango sticky rice, durian ice popsicle, fried quail eggs, etc

I am the sort who hardly haggle for discounts as I often find the prices affordable and very attractive when compared to prices at home. However I made an exception at a vendor today. The vendor quoted THB 90 per bracelet and I started choosing. When I'm done, I pass my selections to the helper and she charged me THB 95 each. I think I was more confused than actually haggling as I asked her to honor the initial price quoted. Felt like a bargain noob, especially when hubby's a seasoned haggler lol

http://www.chatuchak.org/map/chattuchakmap.jpg

Chatuchak Weekend Market map 

Other than lots of macrame jewelry, I also managed to get a few tank tops (thankfully I can fit when I tried back in airbnb haha) and a calico tote bag. We saw lots of kitchenware at very low prices but thought it would be more practical to unpack our stored-away-for-more-a-year kitchen stuff when we finally move in to our new place (hopefully by end April)

me and my new elephant print tank top from Chatuchak Weekend Market

Hubby as usual got more caps (yes, he has only one head!) and when we went to Terminal 21 shopping mall in the evening,  he finally completed his banana print ensemble - cap, tee, shorts.  Was joking he should get the bag and shoes too if we see them!


It was also my first time at Terminal 21 (BTS Asok station) and was amused by the "airport security" complete with the metal detector scanning. Hubby explained that the mall was made to resemble an airport with each level having a different city theme such as Rome,  San Francisco... very interesting! The loos were a joy too with the Japanese bidet function hehe...

After much shopping, we walked to a Japanese restaurant to have a sumptuous seafood dinner. Will blog more about this when I'm back in Singapore as need to show the photos! :)

When on our way back, the skytrain did not stop at Siam station - as there were homemade bomb explosion at Siam Paragon! While the skytrain disruption was about thirty minutes, we only realized how dangerous the situation could have been when back in our airbnb googling... street were business as usual, unfazed by what just happened.. we often take our safety for granted

And we... completed the night back at Big C supermarket (lots of Glico Pocky - Strawberry & Blueberry rocks! and lots of Schweppes soda) and the stretch of street vendors outside Central World and Palladium


--- UPDATE ---

For fellow Singaporeans who frequently travel to Bangkok, please take note of our embassy location and contact details

Embassy of the Republic of Singapore in Bangkok, Thailand

Address:
129 South Sathorn Road
Bangkok 10120
Google map

Operational Hours:
Monday to Friday: 9.00 am - 12 noon and
1.00 pm - 5.00 pm
Saturday, Sunday and Public Holiday: Closed

Tel:
001-66-(2) 286-2111 (during office hours)

Singaporeans who require urgent consular assistance after office hours should call the Duty Officer at H/P No. number 66-(81) 844-3580.

Info source: http://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/overseasmission/bangkok.html



looking for accommodation in Bangkok?