09 October 2015

Ice Monster Taipei | 台北甜品

What to do during hot weathers?
- When in Singapore, eat ice kacang
-- When in Taipei, eat 雪花冰!


Ice Monster Taipei

Selfie: Hubby, me and Carrie in April 2015
Ice Monster is one of my favorite 雪花冰 (flavored shaved ice) destinations in Taipei. I know, eat sweet stuff in moderation... but I simply adore 珍珠奶茶綿花甜 the Bubble Tea flavored shaved ice!

Although I've been to Ice Monster twice now, both occasions were in the night time, and I can be pretty blur with directions. Luckily for us, Carrie our dear Taiwanese friend is always very nice and accommodating to lead the way :) It's about 5 minutes walk away from Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall MRT station 國父紀念館捷運站

(apparently Ice Monster was the famous mango shaved ice that used to be along Yongkang Street!)


The usual dine-in queue waiting time can be about 15 minutes. During my first visit with Carrie and her friend in July 2014, we were queuing from a few shops away, almost at the Red Sakura store where I bought the Hello Kitty milk pastry cakes. This shows the strong demand for this shop's desserts in the sweltering summer heat

There is a separate queue for takeaways. I'm pretty amused that you can pack the shaved ice desserts to-go - wouldn't it all be melted into a puddle of flavored water by the time you reach home?


珍珠奶茶綿花甜 Bubble Milk Tea Sensation (photo from the menu)

What I learnt from eating 珍珠奶茶綿花甜 Bubble Milk Tea Sensation twice:


  1. Do not pour the black tapioca pearls (a.k.a. bubbles) into the shaved ice. There is a reason why they are served separately, i.e. these tapioca pearls harden quickly when cold. Instead, scoop 1-2 pearls into your spoon, and then scoop the shaved ice
  2. For your second shaved ice dessert, choose a refreshing fruit flavor. During the most recent visit, we had the coffee flavored together with bubble milk tea. I felt so gelat ('cloying' in Malay)


珍珠奶茶綿花甜 Bubble milk tea flavored shaved ice
served with black tapioca pearls and 
甜瓜雪酪 Honeydew Sorbet
變態咖啡綿花甜 Coffee flavored shaved ice served with coffee jelly

黑麥啤酒跳跳糖雪酪 Rye Beer Sorbet with Pop Rocks Candy
黑麥啤酒跳跳糖雪酪 Rye Beer Sorbet with Pop Rocks Candy is something I want to try in my upcoming trip, but they have temporarily stopped selling this according to Ice Monster's website :( oh well...


Ice Monster
台北市忠孝東路四段297號
No.297, Sec. 4, Zhongxiao E. Rd. Taipei, Taiwan
Tel: +886-2-8771-3263
http://www.ice-monster.com
Nearest MRT station: Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall MRT station 國父紀念館捷運站 (5 minutes walk away)