25 June 2016

Bangkok 3 Days 2 Nights Itinerary

We're going on a short 3 days 2 nights trip to Bangkok, Thailand next month to celebrate my birthday!

It is quite hard to plan the itinerary this time round. There were so many new/nice cafe suggestions from various friends but I had to streamline to a handful due to our short stay. Besides I wasn't that keen in visiting the more exotic cafes like the one with wildlife animals or huskies, or those that need to travel by foot for a long distance. Since it's my BD celebration, I would prefer to travel in 'comfort' while on the shoestring budget hehe :P

Bangkok Itinerary


Travelling from Bangkok Airport to Hotel

We would arrive in Suvarnabhumi International Airport at 12.10pm on a Jetstar flight, and journey to our hotel by the subways. Firstly, we would need to get on board the Airport Rail Link SA City Line (Airport Level 1) and arrive at Phaya Thai station 30 minutes later. From there, we would change to the BTS towards E14 Bearing direction and alight in about 6 minutes at Chit Lom station.

The entire journey should take maybe 40 minutes to hotel and cost about 70 baht (SGD 2.47) per person.


Hotel Choice
Grande Centre Point Hotel Ratchadamri
Grand Deluxe room 44sqm (Photo Credit: Agoda)
We would be staying at Grande Centre Point Hotel Ratchadamri a 5 star hotel which Hubby selected as the hotel looked good in pictures and the rooms have bath tubs (a travel luxury necessity for us!). The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Chit Lom station, and we can walk to Siam Square in about 10 minutes.

I initially wanted Novotel on Siam Square which is a 4 star hotel directly above Siam Square as I'm lazy to walk here and there during our very short stay. Hubbs thought that the 5 star hotel offers a much better deal at 44 sqm, bathtub and swimming pool. Oh well, he's paying this time, so can't complain! :P


Day 1 (Thursday)
BAKE Cheese Tart (Photo Credit: bakecheesetart.com)
After hotel check in, we'll head down to Central World area for lunch. I remember there were lots of delicious street food outside the shopping mall. Surprisingly one of the few places in the world where I can eat street food and not end up with tummy-ache. Avoiding the crazy queue in Singapore, we'll get some cheese tarts at BAKE Cheese Tart at Central World Level 7 (80 baht, about SGD 3). And of course not forgetting to stock up on Schweppes Lime canned drinks, snacks and toiletries at Big C Supermarket across the road.

Tea break and shopping would be at BTS Siam station area. There are numerous shopping centres there, so I'm pretty lost which is which when I roam around haha! I know for sure that I would want to visit Petite Audrey at Siam Center Level 4. They are famous for their Milo Volcano cake and Crispy Pork Cube (just look at the photo above!). Another place I want to go would be Mr Jones' Orphanage Cake Shop at Siam Center Level 3. I learnt that their main stores are at Thong Lo area.. but a bit 'out' for our tight travel itinerary

Crispy Pork Cube (Photo Credit: audreygroup.com)
And we'll visit JJ Green Night Market that Thursday night, which is beside Chatuchak Weekend Market. Would have to take the BTS to Mo Chit station, or the Metro to Chatuchak Park station. JJ Green is located uphill, along the road from Chatuchak Market. It's open Thursday to Sunday from 5pm to 12am.

Initially I wanted to visit Chatuchak in the day, followed by JJ Green at night - but we are flying back on Saturday night and need to be at the airport by Saturday evening (argh... spoilt plans). Since Hubbs haven't been to JJ Green and the girls are too full for dinner by the time we visited JJ Green, I decided that we should have our dinner plans there. I remember it's quite a big market with lots of food stalls.

JJ Green in December 2015 - thankful for good weather!


Day 2 (Friday)


Jzee and I had SabX2 braised pork rice while the others tried the wanton noodles
We'll start the day at SabX2 Pratuman Wanton Noodles for breakfast - perhaps more for their braised pork rice hehe.. It's located somewhere opposite Platinum Mall area at 4/32-33 Soi Petchburi 19, Pratunam, Bangkok and open from 9am to 4pm daily. Hopefully there isn't a long queue - otherwise we're likely eat street food or A&W at Pantip Plaza (beside Platinum Mall)

We got our fruity t-shirts from Platinum Mall and wore them during CNY 2016!
Have plan for half day shopping at Platinum Mall. Likely going with an empty trolley luggage, so we need not carry the numerous shopping bags around. Not certain if we're going to shop for fruit-print t-shirts again for next year's new year hahaha! Or maybe we should complete the banana theme for Hubbs (he got the cap, tshirt and shorts - missing the bag and shoes)

By the time we are done at Platinum Mall, we would be so hungry and head to Siam Square for lunch. In our December trip, Yun recommended Som Tam Nua at Siam Square Soi 5 and the girls loved the chicken wings, papaya salad and tom yum soup. As most of food were too spicy for me, I had to drink lots of cold liquids and I recall their beverages were pretty good. Jzee introduced us to After You cafe at Siam Square One for thick toast, and Mango Tango at Siam Squiare Soi 3 for a variety of mango desserts. Reminds me of Hui Lau San in Hong Kong. Bernie was eyeing Kyo Roll En's matcha swiss roll cakes. I don't know why the shop name kept reminding me of a sushi shop though.

What we ordered at Som Tam Nua in December 2015
If time allows, we'll head to Terminal 21 at Asok BTS station for shopping. I would definitely want to revisit the handmade jewelry shop by the corner. Hubby probably would visit his favorite shoe shop near the escalators.

Or the other plan would be to head down to EM Quartier at Phrom Pang BTS station (1 station away) since Hubbs haven't been there before. The girls were there in December as I wanted to visit Karmakamet Diner (behind EM Quartier) - which Budget Barbie recommended - which Bernie shared the Youtube link with us. Honestly, the food wasn't that great but our main objective was to be there for the candy floss dessert hahaha! We also had a chance to visit EM Quartier, and I bought quite a number of discounted Japanese snacks at the Supermarket (can't remember level 4, 5 or 6)

With the JC girls at Karmakamet Diner in December 2015
Why I would stick to Asok or Phrom Pang for the late afternoon shopping is simple. Because Hokkaido Robata Genshiyaki is just 10 to 15 mins walk from either station. It has been the must-go destination for affordable grilled seafood for my past 2 trips to Bangkok ever since I learnt about the place. Check out the link above where I shared photos of our previous experiences

When night falls and weather permits, we would make our way to Ratchada Night Market at Thailand Cultural Centre, behind Esplanade Shopping Mall. While this 'second train night market' opens from 5pm to 1am on Thursdays to Sundays, many bloggers recommended to visit around 7pm. Perhaps that's when most of the stalls have been set up and weather is much cooler without the sun.

Ratchada Night Market in December 2015 - thankful for good weather too!


Day 3 (Saturday)

This would be our last day in Bangkok, of which we need to leave the city/hotel by 6pm with our luggage to reach the airport in time for check in to our 9.20pm Jetstar night flight back to Singapore.

We have not confirmed our plans if to visit Chatuchak Weekend Market - near BTS Mo Chit or Metro Chatuchak Park, and would be open from 6am to 6pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Usually we'll end up eating mango sticky rice, coconut icecream and Hubb's fave garlic bread (don't understand why he goes for the hot bread when it's so darn hot already :P); and just walk around and see what to buy

Another idea is to go to Yaowarat (Bangkok's Chinatown) to shop at Sampeng Lane, buy crispy pork 'paper' or... eat lor! I doubt I'll want to take bird's nest or shark's fin - but perhaps check out whether the braised fish maw claypot streetside store is still there. Oh! I remember buying a huge pack of fresh jackfruit. Yum yum! In our December trip, we managed to get some cute Sanrio and Totoro characters items. I bought a Totoro luggage lock for my extra check-in shopping bag and some star-shaped Little Twin Stars plates which I use to put smaller jewelry pieces.



Useful Websites when planning itinerary

When I plan for my trips, I usually refer back to MY BLOG. Yes! Really! I'm serious! That's why I would write in details so that I would know whether to revisit the place or to give it a miss. Hehe... Here are other useful websites I've used when planning my Bangkok trip:

Grilled crab legs at Hokkaido Robata Genshiyaki in our December 2015 trip

BTS interactive map

I found this interactive subway map very useful, especially when planning which area to go first. At least now I know I previously frequent the 'Siam' station area for shopping and snacks, would go to 'Asok' for our Japanese grilled crab legs (yum yum!), should make a visit to 'Ekkamai' and 'Thong Lo' area for the hippier cafes, and plan the pit stops when on the way to/back from Chatuchak Market at 'Mochit' or 'Chatuchak Park'.

Also if you click one station to another, the website will show you the travel time and cost between the two stations.


Google map

This is something I definitely can't live without when planning my travels, especially when address in a foreign language. I would simply paste the address into Google map and search for the nearest subway station. If quite a distance from a subway station, then I would locate the nearest public bus stop and check where to take the bus (works very well when planning trips within Taiwan)


ChangiWifi

Access to WIFI is so important, especially when you're going to a country where you can't speak the language. I would usually book the router from Changi Recommends which allows you to connect up to 8 devices. For Bangkok, I heard that it might be cheaper to get the SIM card from the airport (which we did in my previous trip with the JC girlfriends last


Currency Converter

Before changing my money to foreign currency, I would usually use OANDA to plan the travel expenses. It seems that some of the companies I've been with prefer using OANDA for business travels, so I just stuck with it when planning my personal trips.


I hope the above have been useful. If you have any recommendations on where to visit in Bangkok, feel free to post in the comments :)



Updates 10 July 2016 

4 more days till we are in Bangkok! I'm very excited to visit the Land of Smiles, mainly because I always love a break in between corporate work. HAHA! (been 2.5 months since I return to work)

After sharing this blog post in my Facebook, I received new ideas on where to go in Bangkok, so adding them here in the update portion:


TGIF Market

TGIF Market seems to be the most happening weekend night market nowadays. It has even attracted coverage in recent Taiwanese media too! Known to be the night market for urbanistas and fashionistas, TGIF Market boasts of non-repetitive stalls, and stalls which are handpicked by bloggers.

TGIF Market will be at Fragrant Park, next to BTS Thong Lor for this couple of weeks. The trendy market is usually held from Fridays to Sundays, from 3pm to 11pm. It seems that their Facebook page is more updated than their website, so do check out their location (if any changes) before making your way down.


Union Mall

Union Mall is a shopping mall with three levels dedicated to cheap fashion shopping - prices supposedly cheaper than Platinum Mall, and sellers friendlier than those at Platinum Mall. Located 1 station away from Chatuchak Weekend Market (MRT Chatuchak Park), alight at MRT Phahon Yothin and take Exit 5.


Art Box

Me and the girls visited Art Box in December 2015 when it was at Em Quartier, near BTS Phrom Pang. The usually blank field was transformed into a trendy night market set in shipping containers, and there was a live music concert area. Unfortunately Art Box would be closed in July during our trip, otherwise I would bring Hubby there since he hasn't been there yet. Art Box is scheduled to return in October, so check out their Facebook Page or Instagram for updates.


Neon Fest Container Flea (the temporary market is closed!)

Similar to Art Box, Neon Fest Container Flea is also made up of stalls in shipping containers. However this night market is scheduled to close by end July 2016. So if you're there this July, you may want to check it out at Lumphini Square (alight at MRT Lumphini and take Exit 3) on Thursdays and Fridays from 5pm to midnight.


Rot Fai Market

Heard that this was the original train market (and the largest?) but it's like... freaking far and inconvenient to go. If you're up for some traffic challenge in Bangkok (no thanks for me, given my short trip this time round), Rot Fai Market is situated behind Seacon Square at Srinakarin Soi 51. From BTS On Nut station, you would have to take a taxi there.